Pre-school Education, 3 to 5-year-olds
Lehigh Child Care Center’s pre-school program helps children achieve school readiness in all areas of academic and social learning.
The environment in our preschool is child-centered. Our caregivers initiate ideas and allow children to create their own learning experiences based on what they already know and what they want to learn.
The creative curriculum aligns preschool program goals and practices with families’ expectations of educational excellence, helping young learners grow into confident students.
This is accomplished through:
Our preschool programs and curriculum provide children with opportunities to integrate listening, speaking, early reading, and writing into daily activities such as:
- Recognizing letters and discriminating between sounds
- Answering open-ended questions such as “What do you think?”
- Participating in projects that have multiple steps
- Playing language and rhyming games
- Following along in children’s books read to the class
- Dictating thoughts and ideas to teachers about artwork
Math & Science
Our preschool teachers create learning experiences that build math skills and reasoning so children can solve problems and use mathematics in real and meaningful ways, such as:
- Sorting items by size, color, or shape
- Stringing beads in a pattern
- Discussing past, present, and future events
- Counting out small groups of items and matching to a numeral card
- Experimenting with measuring cups in the sand or water table
Through our preschool science curriculum, teachers carefully plan experiences that not
only develop scientific skills but also nurture children’s natural curiosity, such as:
- Using natural items, magnifying glasses, scales, magnets, color viewers
thermometers and living items (plants, class pet, feeders to attract birds)
Artistic exploration encourages important skills such as creative thinking, adaptation,
problem-solving, innovation, and follow-through.
Your child will have the opportunity:
- To explore creative expressions throughout different centers in our classrooms such
as dramatic play center, art center, block center as well as music and movement
Social & Emotional Skills
Preschoolers are actively developing their sense of self and who they are in the world.
Our preschool teachers create respectful and diverse learning environments, helping
children understand the world they inhabit.
Teachers also present unique experiences for children, enhancing a preschooler’s the sense of responsibility and compassion for people, such as:
- Playing cooperatively with others, taking turns, listening and expressing ideas
- Stating their name, age and address, demonstrating self-help skills
- Showing confidence, controlling behavior and demonstrating pride in their work
- Sharing cultural and family traditions with the class .